Written by experienced food safety experts, SALSA is a robust and effective food safety certification scheme which is appropriate for smaller food producers and suppliers.
Approved suppliers can demonstrate that they operate to standards that are recognised and accepted across the industry and exceed the minimum standards expected by enforcement authorities.
SALSA approval is only granted to suppliers who are able to demonstrate to an auditor that they are able to produce and supply safe and legal food and are committed to continually meeting the requirements of the SALSA standard.
SALSA is a non-profit making joint venture founded by the four main trade associations representing the UK Food Chain featured on the right. The Institute of Food Science and Technology operate the scheme throughout the UK. All of these bodies make up the independently chaired Governance Committee which oversee the SALSA scheme.
SALSA's Purpose: To provide affordable food safety assurance certification and support for small and micro businesses in the United Kingdom.
To achieve our purpose, the following values lie at the heart of all SALSA's activities and thinking:
- Safe Food First - above all else, the SALSA scheme exists to encourage and assist small and micro businesses to implement practices and controls that produce food that is consistently safe
- Affordability - we will aim to provide services and solutions that are affordable; but also of the best possible value for its members.
- Supportive and Constructive Relationships - We pride ourselves on the supportive nature of the relationship we build with our members. Our aim is to support, encourage and help develop small businesses as they grow.
- Practical and Focussed Guidance - Through our broad base of mentors we aim to provide clear, practical and relevant advice to businesses, not general or theoretical answers.
- Teamwork and Collaboration - Our relationship with members is based on a collaborative approach. We work with members as is part of their team.
The SALSA scheme is limited to food businesses based in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
For more information on SALSA please visit - www.salsafood.co.uk